On Sunday, defence chiefs from 12 countries jointly condemned the bloodbath in Myanmar on Saturday, when scores of people, including several children, were killed after security forces opened fire on anti-coup protesters.
Myanmar has been in turmoil since the generals ousted and detained leader Aung San Suu Kyi, triggering mass protests demanding a return to democracy.
The junta on Saturday staged a major show of might for its annual Armed Forces Day as the death toll since the 1st February coup climbed to at least 423, according to a local monitoring group.
The defence ministers of 12 countries including the United States, Britain, Japan and Australia condemned the Myanmar military’s use of lethal force against civilians.
“A professional military follows international standards for conduct and is responsible for protecting, not harming, the people it serves,” a rare joint statement said.
By sunset, the Assistance Association of Political Prisoners said at least 90 people had been killed. Local media, however, put the death toll higher at 114.
In Thailand, foreign ministry spokesman Tanee Sangrat said there is no need to warn Thais in Myanmar to evacuate at this point.
Meanwhile, about 3,000 Karen villagers crossed the Salween River from Myanmar into Thailand’s Mae Hong Son province yesterday.
It was reported the villagers feared a repeat of Saturday when an aerial attack was launched on their homes and businesses.