American Dead After Shooting at Police & News Reporters

American Dead After Shooting at Police

A 25-year-old American man is dead after opening fire on police officers and news reporters in South Pattaya yesterday before turning the gun on himself.

Police found the man’s body after breaking down the door of his room at the Trust Residence Central Pattaya condominium building, Soi Paniadchang, Bang Lamung district, at 3am.

He was found lying on the bed with a gunshot wound to the head. Officers also found a knife and a Glock pistol with one bullet left in the magazine.

Investigators believe he had taken his own life about two hours earlier.

A United States passport found in the room identified him as Michael Giavasis, 25.

Forensic specialists were called in to examine the room and the body was taken to the Forensic Medicine Institute for a post-mortem.

According to witnesses, Giavasis stole a 9mm Glock pistol from an outdoor shooting range in tambon Huay Yai, Bang Lamung district and travelled back to the condo block.

There were also reports that Giavasis fired random shots on his way back to the condo, although no one was injured.

Giavasis was reported to have reached the condominium at 1 am and had a heated argument with another man, Pichakorn Thapana, 18, who also lives there.

Pichakorn said Giavasis headbutted him and threatened him with a knife before firing a warning shot into the air. His behaviour continued to become more erratic, leading to an argument with a security guard, who later called the police.

Around 50 officers were sent to the scene and a friend of Giavasis’s was located and summoned to attempt to talk to him.

However, Giavasis continued to fire random shots at police and news reporters, one of which hit Tiwakorn Krismanee, 31, an assistant to a TV Channel 3 reporter, in his foot. He was given first-aid at the scene and then taken to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

Soon after, Giavasis went back into his room and at 3 am police decided to enter the room, where they found his body.

It was reported that he had been suffering from stress after having an argument with his wife.

Pattaya police said his parents had flown from the US two days earlier but had been unable to see him as they were still undergoing the mandatory 14-day state quarantine.