Anyone Can Register to Grow & Trade Hemp From Today

Cannabis Plants Buri Ram Hospital

Under a new ministerial regulation that comes in today, anyone can register to grow, trade and have in possession hemp.

The regulation allows the production, import, export, distribution and possession of hemp, or kanchong, a Type 5 narcotic.

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) deputy secretary-general Supattra Boonserm said that Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul had signed the ministerial regulation to that effect on Thursday.

Under the rules, growers, public and private sectors, and members of the public, can seek permission to grow hemp for all purposes including commercial, medicinal, educational, research or cultural.

The FDA deputy secretary said that they may use, process or add value to all parts of the plant such as making hemp extracts, herbal drinks, cosmetics and other products.

Hemp export permits can be sought and its seeds could also be imported within five years after the regulation takes effect, she said.

Interested people can seek permission from the public health offices where the plant is to be grown, or with the FDA in the case of Bangkok. Seed importers can apply for permits with the FDA, said Ms Boonserm.