Hotels Warned Not to Increase Room Rates to Take Advantage of the 40% Government Subsidy

We Travel Together Room Rates
Photo: Chanat Katanyu / Bangkok Post

Deputy government spokeswoman Traisuree Taisaranakul on Sunday (19th July) warned all hotels joining the Rao Tiew Duay Kan (We Travel Together) programme not to increase their room rates to take advantage of the 40% subsidy from the government.

With a ban on foreign tourists in place, the government is relying on local travellers to inject money into the tourism sector with the ‘Rao Tiew Duay Kan’ domestic tourism drive, which subsidises 5 million nights of hotel accommodation.

Under the scheme, tourists pay only 60% of the normal room rates, with the government responsible for the other 40%, with the subsidy capped at B3,000 per night for up to five nights.

More than 3.6 million people have signed up for the package since registration on the website began on Wednesday.

Ms Taisaranakul told reporters that any hotels caught price gouging will be terminated from the programme immediately.

Most of the registrants had reserved one-night stays in hotels in eastern and western provinces. Krabi was the most popular long-distance tourist destination so far, she added.

The warning came after several registrants complained of inflated room rates on social media. One person wrote on a Facebook page that a hotel where she planned to stay had advertised a rate of B2,200 per night, but the amount increased when she tried to register with the tourism promotion campaign.

The rate was now B4,000 per night, or B2,400 after the 40% discount rate, she wrote without naming the hotel.