Songthaew catches fire outside shopping center in Lampang

Emergency services workers were called to Central Plaza Lampang yesterday, Dec. 22 after a local songthaew caught fire.

The fire broke out in the songthaew as it was parked on the Phaholyothin Frontage Road (Highway 1 side road) at around 12:25 p.m.

The fire, which gutted the rear of the songthaew took around 20 minutes to be brought under control. The driver, Mr. Bunmee Khamboon, 62 from Chompu, Mueang Chiang Mai suffered minor injuries.

Initial reports suggested that fire may have been caused by an LPG tank installed in the vehicle but the reality is far weirder. Mr. Khamboon told media had a new cooking gas bottle in the back of the songthaew connected to a gas stove and had decided to test the bottle.

Upon igniting the burning head, he said flames “gushed out” unexpectedly. That having occurred, he attempted to turn the gas valve off but failed to do so, the flames overwhelming him, trashing his songthaew in the process.

Moral of the story – don’t start turning on gas-fired stoves in the back of a songthaew.

#สมาคมสว่างนครลำปางธรรมสถาน #เพลิงไหม้. . เมื่อเวลา 12.45น. หน่วยกู้ภัยสว่างนครลำปางได้รับแจ้งจากศูนย์วิทยุ191…

Posted by หน่วยกู้ภัยสว่างนครลำปาง 明邦善壇 on Sunday, December 22, 2019

Photo: Sawang Nakorn Lampang Rescue