Suspected Hitman Arrested for 2006 Murder of New Zealand Man

Hitman Arrested

The alleged hitman in the murder of a New Zealand man in Pattaya in 2006 has been arrested.

Yiamwut Julapong, alias Pokpong, 40, was detained on Monday at Moo 5 village in tambon Thung Samo in Khao Kho district of Phetchabun province by Crime Suppression Division police led by Pol Col Neti Wongkularb, commander of the CSD Sub-Division 5.

He was wanted under an arrest warrant issued by the Pattaya Court on 22nd April 2006, on charges of murder and illegal possession and carrying a gun in public without proper reason.

Yiamwut is accused of conspiring with Jintana Wichachai and Varathip Kasawong to kill Stephen Miller, a New Zealand businessman and bodybuilder who was Jintana’s boyfriend.

Miller was shot dead while riding his motorbike near a golf driving range on Pattaya Sai 3 road in Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri province, on 20th April 2006.

Steve Miller Murder Pattaya
Steve Miller with ex-wife and close friend Megan.

A police investigator said Jintana and Miller lived as husband and wife.

Miller allegedly produced unapproved steroids for sale and export with Jintana helping him send the packages to foreign clients and collect the money from the illegal sales.

Jintana confessed to conspiring in his murder. She claimed that Miller frequently assaulted her and had threatened to take back the valuables he had given to her.

She thought he was going to walk out on her, became very dissatisfied and decided to kill him.

Reports in New Zealand media at the time described him as a caring man, and that he and Jintana had been together for five months.

Jintana asked Yiamwut and Varathip for help, and the three planned Miller’s murder.

Jintana and Varathip were later arrested. They said it was Yiamwut who shot Miller dead.

The payment was reported to have been a gold necklace.

Reports in Thai media at the time suggested she also had a Thai husband.

The police investigation led to the arrest of Yiamwut on Monday.

Yiamwut denied any involvement in the murder.

He was handed over to Pattaya police for legal proceedings.