A 15-year-old student has died after a fire ripped through a Christian boarding school in Fang early this morning, July 18.
The fire started in the boarding facilities building at the Christian Paolo School run by the Evangelical Fellowship of Thailand in Ban Nong Yai, Mae Suen District at 1:05 a.m. which at the time housed 74 students, nearly all of them members of ethnic hill tribes.
73 of the students managed to escape with the 15-year-old female student not waking in time, likely being overcome by smoke inhalation.
Fire engines and emergency services workers from surrounding districts attended the blaze and took two hours to put it out.
The cause of the fire is not officially known although police suspect it was caused by a short circuit.